My kids love to be outdoors, especially in summer, and so we are out there a lot- slathered in sunscreen with our bottles of water ready to hydrate. We are gardening, hula hoop-ing, and 100 other summer activities. But some days it’s just too much and we need to escape from the oppressive heat for a little cool fun. Here are 15 places to go to beat the heat!
15 Places to go to Beat the Summer Heat
- In the house- But not just in to sit in front of the TV- make it fun so fun that it almost feels as if you have gone somewhere else. Set up a movie theater in your living room- pallets on the floor, lots of popcorn, a dvd, and plenty of air conditioning and fans!Create summer art projects,
- Your own backyard- Create a waterpark in your own backyard, don’t just toss out a sprinkler and call it done. Bring in a kiddie pool, slip n slide, sprinkler, water guns and whatever else you need to crank down the temps on your skin. Get involved, don’t let the kids have all the fun.
- Movies- Go see a summer blockbuster and grab a big cold drink, during the summer you can usually find free or $1 movies for kids as well to save some money.
- Library- Free entertainment! Most libraries offer free storytime, craft days, and book clubs during the summer. Or you can just park yourself and the kids at a table to read books and magazines in the free ac for a couple hours.
- Shopping Mall- Go shopping whether it’s real or just window shopping, dreaming of future purchases. This is also the best place to people watch!
- Museums- You can find art museums or children’s museums in just about every city, most places you are probably not more than an hour away from one.
- Indoor ice skating rink- Ice lots of glorious cool ice, and they have to keep the air cranked up to keep it frozen, no better place to stay cool in mid summer!
- Ice cream/coffee shop- Head to your local ice cream or coffee shop, with our without kids in the heat. Bring a book or your tablets and enjoy a leisurely treat, even better if they offer free wi-fi.
- Local aquarium- An indoor one of course, just watching ocean animals enjoy the water will help you cool down while you walk through the air conditioned building.
- Bookstore- Here you can browse, buy, dream, and make lists of books you want to have. Bookstores generally invite browsing and lounging so it makes a great location.
- Beach/Waterpark- One of our favorite go to spots for beating summer heat is of course large fun bodies of water. On one hand you have beautiful sandy beaches on the other you have fun slides, pools, and other water features-either way it is cool!
- Arcades- I am not sure how many of these exist anymore but I know they are still out there. Usually now though instead of dropping quarters you purchase a wrist band or even an ATM type card for unlimited play. For a special treat this is a fun way to beat the heat.
- YMCA- If you are not already a member of one you can see about getting a guest pass and trying out the facility. Swimming, indoor basketball, and all sorts of classes are part of the package you get with a YMCA membership.
- Lessons- Take up a new hobby for yourself and/or the kids. Piano lessons, painting, or guitar provide much needed distraction and of course indoor temperatures during summer.
- Salons- Take a heat break here by getting a pedicures, a short summer haircut, or some fun color. Even the kids can get in on the action with some wild temporary colors.
What is your favorite way to beat the summer heat? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments below!!!