Finding your pace or routine can be one of the most important, but most stressful things when you start homeschooling. Our first few years homeschooling, and even now at times we struggles to find the right pace for our homeschooling.
Just know that you are not alone.
The Homeschool Race: Finding your Pace
I have found that we work better on a routine of sorts. I do not time block, or schedule our time for our days. Instead I show what lessons need to be finished, or done together (for my younger child) by days end.
You may find that your children learn better at different times.
No matter how you homeschool though you need to find a pace that works for your family. If you don’t find it you will be left feeling unorganized, or frazzled.
You may find yourself comparing your homeschool schedule against other homeschool families,and even public school calendars.
When I do that doubt starts to weave its way into my mind.
That is where you need to stop those thoughts in their tracks.
Not everyone or family is the same, and we all have different family dynamics and theories. You need to figure your priorities out and write a mission statement for your school so you can see your vision.
As long as you stay the course for your vision you will succeed in your homeschool.
Here are some pros and cons about routines vs. schedule.
- The stress is a minimum
- Your student can work in the order that works best for them
- There is room for other activities that may present themselves that day
- Your older students learn how to be responsible and independent learners
- You are not cutting lessons short because of a time constraint
- You can school at any hour of the day
- You have a more relaxed day
- You may not get everything done, but I believe even traditional schedules don’t always get everything accomplished everyday
- If you are a planner this will probably not work for you
- You may not finish all of your curriculum
So find your pace, find your peace in your schedule and enjoy homeschooling again.
You may have had many days where you stressed and struggled to get it all done. Know this: you don’t have to get it all done!
No one does.
How have your found your pace or routine? What works for your family?